Convection and conduction in water – lake heat exchanger

Energy2D Forum Forums Energy2D Questions Convection and conduction in water – lake heat exchanger

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  WHRF2 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

WHRF2
    Participant

Hi there,

I am interested in modelling the speed & pattern of convection within a lake. I have tried to set up a model that includes elements for the ground (fixed temperature, soil), lake (background medium, water), air (fixed temperature, air) and a heat exchanger (fixed temperature, steel). It would be nice to incorporate insolation if possible.

I have a couple of issues:

1) If the air layer is small, all heat dissipates through it. If it is large, the model returns a fatal error.
    2) There does not appear to be any horizontal mixing/circulation currents.

Any guidance/advice much appreciated. Is Energy2D suitable for this type of application?

Thanks
    Will

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

Hi Will:

Sorry for the delay in responding. Can you annotate your model a bit so that I can understand what you are trying to accomplish?

Charles

WHRF2
    Participant

Hi Charles, thanks for your help, new version attached.

Attachments:

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

I can reproduce your problems. Not sure if this is caused by a huge distortion of the grid cells (400 times larger in the horizontal direction than in the vertical direction). I will keep looking.

WHRF2
    Participant

Thanks. Based on your comment I made the lake deeper and more proportional, it seems to be OK with this version. When the model stabilises, it looks as though the soil is heating the water to much higher temperatures than the soil temperature, but perhaps it is just the result of warmer water being forced down the sides?

Attachments:

WHRF2
    Participant

Pic attached

Attachments:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.