How to to simulate an unheated cross-ventilated space?

Energy2D Forum Forums Energy2D Questions How to to simulate an unheated cross-ventilated space?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Charles Xie 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

This question is from a student of Integrated Buildings Systems at the ETH Zurich in Switzerland (I have his permission to share his question here to benefit other users who may be wondering about the same thing):

I am working on my master’s thesis which is about natural ventilation of buildings.

I am trying to simulate an unheated cross-ventilated space. So ventilation is only driven by wind.

My goal is to measure the air velocity in the space to then be able to calculate the volume flow rate of air through the room.

This is done to cross-check my hand calculations and test different sizes of openings.

Is this possible with energy 2D?

I did see the wind-effect example which is included in the software if I try to tweak it to my needs. Increasing the wind speed to 4 m/s it keeps on breaking down. Even if I make the time steps very small. Furthermore, how do I see that the simulation converged?

Also, I struggle with the scale. If, I increase the boundaries to help the engine with the calculation. It is nearly impossible to work with the small ventilation openings and building dimension I need. Is there a way to work around this.

Thanks for your help.

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by  Charles Xie.
    • This topic was modified 3 months ago by  Charles Xie.

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

How about this one? Not a heat-driven one, but I use a 4m/s fan.

The particle speeds are not 4m/s, though, perhaps because of the air drag.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.