Minimum dimension

Energy2D Forum Forums Energy2D Questions Minimum dimension

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Xie 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

jtravers
    Participant

I am trying to model heat flows from small resistive elements through thin films and foils and found your tool to be ideal for quick and accurate analysis of different materials and thicknesses. I am targeting dimensions in the micron range however and I have found that when I set a dimension below 0.00005 (50 microns) it resets to this value.

Is there any way of using smaller dimensions?

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

I will look into this. I didn’t expect users who would use this at micron scale.

jtravers
    Participant

Many thanks Charles, yes it seems to be a very handy tool for looking at miniature sensor assemblies. I’d imagine electronics packaging and thermal interfaces could also use smaller measurements.

I’m sure it would be possible to scale the physical dimensions and the material properties accordingly to model the behaviour – it would be good to keep the numbers true to real life though.

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

I am just back from running a workshop. I will find some time to change the lowest dimension allowed in the program. Thanks for your encouragement!

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

This is done. See the attached image.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

PS: Don’t forget to set the time step to be small to be compatible with the micron scale. Otherwise you will get a fatal error.

jtravers
    Participant

That’s great, thanks for the quick resolution to this! I’ll give it a try on the heated films and let you know how it goes.

Jamie

jtravers
    Participant

I had a quick go at creating thin features and ran into another dimensional constraint. In retrospect this may actually have been the initial limitation I saw. It seems that the minimum dimension is constrained as a fraction of the view window – it looks like dimensions below 1/100th of the window size can not be set.

Previously I didn’t modify the zoom-level so I didn’t see the lower bound changing.

I have attached a screen-shot where I zoomed to a window of around 0.6mm; then setting the thickness to below around 6 micron will reset it to this value. I can probably work with this but ideally I would be modelling strips a few mm long and down to a few micron thick so a bigger range would be useful.

Note, I am using V3.0.3 which the latest version which I could install via the Windows installer.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

That is right. Since the computational grid is 100×100, you can’t set the size of a component below 1/100th of the size of the window. If you could, it would be ignored by the engine.

jtravers
    Participant

Ok, understood. I presume there is no way to expand the grid-size?

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

Expanding the grid size would cause the simulation to slow down by N^2. So this is currently locked. But I agree there should be such an option in the future.

jtravers
    Participant

Ok, I found a temporary workaround anyway. I didn’t realise that the aspect ratio does not need to be 1:1 so I used a 1mm range in the Y axis giving foil thicknesses in 10 micron increments and a 10 mm range in the X axis for the longer features. This allowed for testing of some different foil arrangements and was useful for optimizing the sensor assembly.

I might be pushing the boat out by requesting another feature but a material library would be good – I found it a bit tedious to enter all of the thermal parameters when switching between foil materials, if they could be entered once and then selected from a list it would speed things up a lot.

Thanks anyway, this is a great tool which I will continue to use.

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

Many users have requested supporting a material library. Unfortunately, I have very limited time and I am maintaining this software in my spare time. It is not funded by anyone since about five years ago.

Hopefully it will continue to exist.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.