Questions from a user

Energy2D Forum Forums Energy2D Questions Questions from a user

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Xie 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

Hello.
    Thanks for building Energy2D. This is a great tool for explaining and quickly testing thermal flow phenomena. Students can pick it up pretty quickly and get to the real concepts rather than focus on software quirks. I’ve used it for 3 years now, but am looking to expand my use in the classroom.

A few quick questions:
    – Is there a list of the variables (%temperature) that can be used in labels?

– Is there any way to be more precise in drawing? Can you size objects when creating them other than create it generically, then go to Properties > Geometry?
    – Can you snap to other object vertices?
    – Can you modify the step size of the nudge (arrow keys to move an object)?

– Is there any way to set an object as a fluid? I’d like to define things like air of different temperatures on opposite sides of a wall (indoor/outdoor), like your thermal bridge example, but with convection also, and a window assembly (air on the inside/outside, but argon between panes), etc.

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

Q: Is there a list of the variables (%temperature) that can be used in labels?

A: As of 1/6/2017, Here is a list of properties that can be used in labels on objects:

%temperature
    %thermal_energy
    %density
    %elasticity
    %specific_heat
    %heat_capacity
    %volumetric_heat_capacity
    %thermal_diffusivity
    %thermal_conductivity
    %power_density
    %area
    %width
    %height

Here is a list of outputs that you can put in text boxes:

%thermal_energy (of the entire system)
    %Prandtl

There may be more elsewhere. But these are what I can recall now.

Charles Xie

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

Q: Is there any way to be more precise in drawing? Can you size objects when creating them other than create it generically, then go to Properties > Geometry?

A: By default, drawing snaps to an invisible grid that is determined by the spatial resolution of the simulation engine, which is 100×100 by default. Drawing anything smaller than the size of a grid cell will result in it being not accounted properly by the simulation engine.

Although this snapping functionality can be turned off, I highly recommend not to do so.

As for your question about fast and precise drawing, I will add a feature that allows the dimension of the object will be dynamically shown when you are resizing it (like a relatively recent feature in Photoshop). This way, you can then decide where to stop.

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

Q: Can you snap to other object vertices?

A: No. It snaps only to the invisible grid.

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

Q: Can you modify the step size of the nudge (arrow keys to move an object)?

A: Yes, if you hold down the SHIFT key at the same time you press the arrow keys, it will go five times faster. Actually, there is a yellow tip at the upper-left part of the screen showing when you are using the arrow keys to move an object, if you pay attention.

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

Q: Is there any way to set an object as a fluid? I’d like to define things like air of different temperatures on opposite sides of a wall (indoor/outdoor), like your thermal bridge example, but with convection also, and a window assembly (air on the inside/outside, but argon between panes), etc.

A: Not now. But this has been on my list for a while. I still have to figure out the math. Not very easy to do.

Tong_Chen
    Participant

Hello: Really appreciate such a nice simulation tool available! I have an application that the heat source is periodically modulated (temperature or power). Is there anyway that I can simulation with Energy2D?
    Thanks!

Tong

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

This is currently supported by using scripts. But it is not very well developed. It can only do something simple.

You can also look at the thermostat option (never mind about the same, it is only a feedback control that is attached to a temperature sensor).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.