Time scales in E2D

Energy2D Forum Forums Energy2D Questions Time scales in E2D

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Xie 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

stefanoss
    Participant

My troubles are about the actual meaning of the various time step setups. I do not exactly understand, in fact, what are the correct relationships between the time steplength in general properties panel, the time values reported along the time axis of plot, the time values of the data panel and the small black window in the bottom right corner of the working space.

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

The time steplength is used in the simulation to control the speed and accuracy.

The unit of the time axis in a graph is HOUR.

The unit in the data table exported from a graph is SECOND.

The clock at the upper-right corner is in a format that is the same as a digital clock that people are familiar with, which means that it increases by 60 seconds a minute, 60 minutes an hour, instead of the decimal system used in the graph.

The black window at the bottom right corner shows the aspect ration of the view window.

stefanoss
    Participant

Dear Charles,

thanks for your quick replies. My simulation is a simple disk (actually a cylinder) immersed in water. The disk initial temperature is higher than that of water and of course it is getting lower and lower since the disk is not a heat source. I want to compare the simulation of E2D with experimental data acquired with a FLIR-ONE connected to an iPhone. Everything seems OK but I am really still missing the time calibration. I cannot understand the relations among the horizontal time axis, the time “cursor” in the upper high side of the working area and the time-column of the data output.

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

See my reply above.

stefanoss
    Participant

Now it’s clear, thanks. I have still some doubts about the proper choice of the length of the time-step (changing it the convergence to stationary results takes obviously different times, but also the converged values – of temperature – seem to change a lot).

Charles Xie
    Keymaster

Please check this article I wrote a while back to see if that answers part of your question:

http://molecularworkbench.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-deception-of-unconditionally-stable.html

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.